Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serves: 8 – 10
- 1 lb ground beef, turkey, or soy crumbles
- 3 cloves, minced garlic
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 24 ounces tomato sauce (I use homemade, here’s my recipe)
- 2 tbsp basil
- 3 medium zucchinis sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 15 oz ricotta
- 16 oz mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 1 large egg
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Brown meat over medium heat with garlic, onion, basil, salt and pepper. Add sauce and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes. Meanwhile combine all the cheese and egg.
- Arrange zucchini slices into the base of a 9×13 baking dish. Layer with half of meat sauce and cheese mixture. Repeat layering and top with final layer of zucchini slices.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.
To make this recipe vegan you can use vegan cheese, and the vegetarian option is to use the soy crumbles. I try not to use soy based products too much because they’re very processed and too much soy is never good for you, but it’s okay in moderation.